Monday, June 8, 2009

Settling In

It was good to take a run at 8 a.m. today and feel the humidity and then once I finished my little loop through the 'hood start sweating buckets. Ah, Virginia. And to think it hasn't really gotten hot here yet. I see the overnight low will be 70 degrees tonight. Brrrrr! Might have to put on a long sleeve shirt for that morning jaunt tomorrow!

We're getting things unpacked and we moved 11/12 of our kids into different rooms. That's no small task. Olivia got a room all to herself and before you think she's spoiled, let's just say it was so she wouldn't wake anyone up when she starts her midnight hollering. But either I didn't hear her last night or else she slept through the night. I do believe I was up around 1:40 a.m. to attend to Ezra's squawking. I call it "going on patrol." After quieting young Ezra (Was it a bad dream? Did he have an arm or leg fall asleep? Did he have to go and forget he was in a diaper?) I checked around and to my delight discovered that all other Sabos were in full-blown sleep mode. That's a good thing. It stayed that way until 4:50 a.m., when Mount Ezra erupted again. That kid just does not appreciate the beauty of sleep.

I spent today at work. Quite a novelty for me, after 8 1/2 months of mostly being a student. I'm officially a Daily Press reporter again. I filled out paperwork, including information for health benefits (that's a full day's work right there writing down all the dependents, birth dates, and whatever else for the Sabo Tribe) and got a nifty little laptop that I eventually got to work. It took me an hour to track down a password so I could log in and start working. I called some number for our tech department and someone answered and said they were so busy he was just the guy taking messages for them. He took my name and number and a brief lowdown on the issue I was having and said someone would call back. Believe it or not, I'm still waiting for that call back. But I managed to track down the number of my man "Tech-Man Mike" and he got me squared away. I'm recommending "Tech-Man Mike" get a raise. Though it took me an hour to accomplish a seemingly simple task, things got better after that. I might even file a story or a Daily Press blog entry tomorrow. This afternoon I spent time calling "sources" and getting the lay of the land and catching up on what's going on in Gloucester. I could tell you who these sources are, but then I'd have to kill you. I also spent time nerding out and reacquainting myself with local and state public records I can find online just to see if there's anything out there that needs to make it into print. The life of a newspaper reporter. So glamorous.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are getting back in the groove of things! Praise God for your job. When ya going to give us the blog on Mount Trashmore?
    (Brian)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad to see that you got your job back! God has been faithful to your faithfulness, hasn't He?
    Oh, I bet it feels so good to have that family back in it's home....

    ReplyDelete