Saturday, February 21, 2009

Dream Dreams...

Sometimes Scripture just leaps out at me. One of those moments occurred a few nights ago while I was reading through Joel. Here's how Joel 2:28 is written in my NKJV Bible: "And it shall come to pass afterward that I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions." So many things spoke to me in this passage, particularly the ideas of promise and hope. At the ripe old age of 40, I'm closer to the end of my life expectancy (78 years and change, though I want to add the disclaimer that kin on both sides of my family tree journeyed on earth into their 90s) than my exit from the womb. So the fact that this passage speaks of "old men shall dream dreams" is such a great promise, not only for those of us advancing in years but for those who are already livin' the dream, so to speak.

The greatest aspect of this passage, at least for me at the moment, is how all ages will be participating in being filled with the Spirit in the last days. The young all the way to the old will have dreams, visions and prophesy. I would say this passage spoke so forcefully to me at this moment because I was among hundreds or more at Calvary Corvallis who participated in a week long fast, where we heard the prophetic words, Scriptures and exhortations spoken during the week of prayer and worship meetings. I'm still sorting the week out and meditating on some of the visions and Scriptures. But it remains fresh in my mind, as does the promise of Joel 2:28.

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoying your blog!!

    After morning prayer today, I reflected on old men dreaming dreams. It seems (as an oldie, 52-going on 12), it is easy to stop dreaming because most of our childhood dreams died on the vine. It is much more difficult to let a dream build to the hope of fulfillment. Almost all my dreams these days are preoccupied with the anticipated fulfillment of Scripture.

    As Jesus said in Matthew 13, "... many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it."

    May we have eyes to see and ears to hear during this great age of fulfillment. And may us old guys dream the dreams of GOD.

    Come quickly Lord Jesus. Come!

    Thought:

    "The soil of Church ministry becomes fertile when the compost of messy lives are welcomed." CL Winter

    ReplyDelete